Roasted Sweet Potato and Chickpea Salad
Chanel and Stevo of How Far From Home are back in South Africa for a visit, and have been staying with me for the last week. Although we haven’t managed to coordinate our diaries to hang out as much as I would have liked, we did manage to have a meal or two together. Chanel has been kind enough to document some of her favorite dishes and share them with us (as seen here), and she’ll definitely have a regular feature on the blog.
I love carbs (read bread), so this delicious roasted sweet potato and chickpea salad with garlic flat bread is the perfect meal for me. It is filling and nutrient dense, and the tahini gives it a creamy richness that I crave. Check out the recipe below, and let us know what you think.
Chanel found the original recipe found here.
- 2 small (or 1 large) organic sweet potatoes (~200 g), sliced into 1/2-inch rounds with skin on
- 1 15-ounce (425 g) can chickpeas, rinsed, drained and patted dry (~1 1/4 cups drained)
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) grape seed or melted coconut oil, divided
- 2-3 Tbsp (14-21 g) Tandoori Masala Spice Blend*
- 1/8 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp (4 g) coconut sugar
- optional: 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 large bundle (12 stems) rainbow chard* or kale*, chopped, large stems removed
- optional: 2-3 Tbsp roasted lightly salted or unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup (56 g ) tahini
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup
- 1 small lemon, juiced (2 Tbsp, 30 ml)
- 1-2 Tbsp hot water to thin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Add chickpeas to a small mixing bowl and toss with 1 Tbsp oil, tandoori masala spice blend, salt, coconut sugar, and turmeric (optional). Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, making sure they’re well-salted and thoroughly seasoned. Arrange on half of the prepared baking sheet.
- Add sweet potato rounds to the other half of the baking and drizzle with remaining 1 Tbsp oil – toss. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and arrange in a single layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from oven to toss chickpeas and flip sweet potatoes to ensure even cooking. Return to oven and cook for 10-15 minutes more, or until sweet potatoes are tender and golden brown, and chickpeas are firm and crispy.
- In the meantime, add tahini, lemon juice and maple syrup to the mixing bowl you used earlier (for the chickpeas) and whisk to combine. Thin with hot water until pourable. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes and chickpeas are done roasting, let cool for a few minutes. To serve, divide chard or massaged* kale between serving dishes and top with sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and pumpkin seeds (optional). Serve with dressing on the side. Best when fresh, though leftovers will keep covered separately for 2-3 days.
GARLIC FLAT BREAD
• 1 cup flour
• Pinch of salt
• Teaspoon of sugar
• Enough water to make a soft dough
• Salt, pepper
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• Oil for frying
1 Mix flour, salt and sugar
2 Add water slowly, mixing until a soft dough forms
3 Wrap dough in plastic wrap and leave in a warm room for 30 mins
4 Tear dough into pieces and roll out into flats
5 Fry the flat pieces in some oil on a hot pan
6 Brush with garlic, oil, salt and pepper mixture and serve hot